Saturday, September 27, 2014

NudeStix First Impressions and Photos

A new line to hit the beauty world, Nudestix is a brand designed to streamline the make up application and size of a make up bag.  Created to emphasize a woman's natural beauty as well as her time in the morning, the product list is short but thoughtfully worked in such a way that all items are a multitasker, combining lip and cheek products, eye liners as eyebrow pencils, and shadow sticks as highlighters.  As a frequent allergy sufferer and sensitive skin aficionado, I need products that won't irritate my skin.  According to Sephora's product page, the products have been dermatologist tested for sensitive skin and  are all preservative and fragrance free.  I'm still waiting to hear back as to whether these are gluten free or not.  



All of the products come packaged in a sleek black tin, which includes a mirror for touch ups and a sharpener.  I like the idea of using tins, as that reduces the risk of getting product all over whatever bag you're carrying, but the black seems like it would be difficult to find at the bottom of a dark bag.  I'm actually capable of carrying all four of the products I ordered in the larger eye pencil tin, which I'm really happy with.  This could seriously reduce the amount of room one needs when traveling, and would fit splendidly in a travel on bag.  The tin concept is also environmentally nice, as they can be repurposed after the make up has been used up.  


Now let's get down to the fun stuff, the products.




The concealer pencil is designed to hide blemishes and darkness, operating on the concept that your natural skin is beautiful and your products shouldn't suffocate the skin under layers of foundation, concealer, and powder.  The shade range isn't huge, offering only 8 options.  The potential exists for contouring with the cream pencils, perhaps not the original intent, but for those of us that like a little more, it's something to be appreciated.  I ordered Light 1, the fairest of the options.  I'm still testing the wear on this, but it seems reasonably buildable but did fade rathe quickly on a blemish I was concealing.  


The Lip + Cheek Pencil was created to complement a nude look without being overbearing, offering a coordinated look that appears fresh, not stuffy.  Of course, the colors can be mixed and matched as desired, and none are so overly pigmented that it requires constant touch up.  I opted for Sin, a pretty rose gold color.  I'm looking at adding Love, a pink shade, and Ripe, a peach/coral.  Still testing the wear on this as well, but it did blend nicely on the cheek.  I'm undecided as a lip color, mostly as my contact dermatitis has flared up and I'm not ready to apply new colors just yet.  I do like the pencils enough as a blush that I am planning to add Ripe and Love to my collection during the hopeful VIB sale at Sephora in November.  


The NudeStix Eye Pencils are described as a next generation eyeliner, eye shadow, and highlighting pencil.  The pencil comes with a dual ended smudger and an included sharpener so you're never without.  I'm intrigued by these, I'm wondering if they'll be workable as an eyebrow pencil as well.  They offer a range of shades from Cream to Smoke, all without shimmer or sparkle.  I started with Smoke, a cool grey, which I think will play well as a liner and a smokier shadow shade.  I'm interested in Pewter and Stardust as well.   I'm a big fan of the two eye pencils, Smoke blended nicely and stayed put without primer!  I will most likely add the other two shades to my kit in the near future.  



Magnetic Eye Pencils claim to be budge proof eye pencils that will stick around on all lids, oily included.  Shades range from off white to black and should be smudged with the fingers or the included smugder end.  They are intended to be workable as shadows and liner, but I think these could also work as highlighters and potentially as a contour shade too.  I picked up Lilith, a white/off white shade that I think will mix and pair nicely with Smoke.  I'm looking at also picking up Moon, Gilt, and Spirit as I am super impressed by Lilith.  I didn't use a primer and my shadow was exactly where I left it!  I also used it as a highlighter on the cheekbones and nose, which I did like as well.  




Left to right:  Smoke, Lilith, Light 1, Sin.

The one product I haven't tried from the line is the mascara, and I really couldn't see why I would need it, as I have a pile of mascara waiting to be used up that I already know I like.  I also prefer a bit more drama in the lash, and since I'm able to achieve a natural or dramatic look with my current favorites, I plan on sticking with the Too Faced Better Than Sex and Urban Decay Perversion.

My personal take?  I like the packaging, I like the concept, I like the sensitive ingredients, I like that it's make up brush optional.  I'm not sold on the "minimal make up bag."  I'm a product junkie, and I like having lots of options, vibrant brights included.  I can see this being useful on the mornings I wake up late and need something quick.  I can also see this being a great travel set, airline travel friendly, or something one could stash in an office or emergency kit for quick fixes or late mornings.  I'm still testing for wear, but I think the line up is pretty solid overall.  

What are your thoughts?  Is this something you can see finding a home in your make up bag or a total flop?  






2 comments:

  1. I want to try these now!! Thanks for introducing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy with the line this far! I think they'll be a great addition to your kit, especially with how busy you'll be soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete